Early Childhood Education
The Head Start/Early Intervention Department houses the Head Start, Early Head Start, and Voluntary Prekindergarten programs. These programs provide early education opportunities and comprehensive services to students Birth – 5 and their families.
- Increase school readiness
- Provide high-quality education to Birth-5 students
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of Pre-K teachers, administrators, and support staff through strategic support
- Support families in the early care and education of their child
- Provide comprehensive services to children and their families
- Expand the number of high-quality Pre-K programs/opportunities throughout the district
Early Learning/School Readiness
The Early Learning and School Readiness Department focuses on linking the internal and external early childhood community to build school readiness throughout Broward. The team provides direct support and services to community early childhood providers to through the implementation of the ELC4 Road to Child Outcomes Grant and provides support to elementary schools in building relationships and reciprocal support structures with their feeder early childhood community. The emphasis on school readiness includes targets for ready children, ready families, and ready schools.
- Supports high-quality care and education in community early childhood centers
- Enhances the knowledge and skills of teachers and directors within the early childhood community
- Provides family engagement opportunities and support services consistent with the Center for Social Policy, Strengthening Families Approach, to children and families throughout Broward County.
- Supports curriculum, professional learning, and implementation of the United Way Reading Pals Program
- Coordinates the Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener (FLKRS) Assessment
- Provides “Transition to Kindergarten” resources and supports to elementary schools and the early childhood community
- Coordinates district-wide initiatives supporting internal and external early childhood education