Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is proud to announce that 120 of the District’s schools have earned the 2016/17 Golden and Silver School Awards from the Florida Department of Education. The annual awards recognize exemplary volunteer programs that promote parent and community involvement in education.
The Golden School Award recognizes elementary, secondary and adult schools that have a volunteer coordinator and a minimum of 80 percent of their staff members who have participated in training related to school volunteerism. The total number of hours of volunteer service must also equal twice the number of students enrolled in the school.
The Silver School Award recognizes secondary schools whose students volunteer within elementary schools or community organizations. The composite student volunteer hours must equal at least one half the total number of students in the secondary school. In addition, a volunteer coordinator must provide training to students and faculty participating in the program.
As part of the 2016/17 awards, the schools below received special recognition for their consecutive years of earning the Golden School Award:
- 35 Years: Floranada Elementary School and Sheridan Park Elementary School
- 30 Years: Cooper City Elementary School, Country Isles Elementary School, Harbordale Elementary School and Margate Elementary School
- 25 Years: Coral Springs Middle School, Embassy Creek Elementary School, Forest Glen Middle School and Palm Cove Elementary School
- 20 Years: Eagle Ridge Elementary School
- 15 Years: Lyons Creek Middle School, Panther Run Elementary School, Parkside Elementary School and Sunset Lakes Elementary School
- 10 Years: Seminole Middle School
- 5 Years: Manatee Bay Elementary School
The following secondary schools earned the state’s Silver School Award:
View the complete list of Golden and Silver School Award winners.
- Beachside Montessori Village, Cooper City High School, Coral Glades High School,
- Everglades High School, Falcon Cove Middle School, Lauderhill 6-12 STEM MED,
- Lyons Creek Middle School, McFatter Technical High School, McNicol Middle School,
- Nova High School, Sawgrass Springs Middle School, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School,
- Sunrise Middle School, West Broward High School, West Hollywood Elementary School,
- Western High School and Wingate Oaks Center.
To learn more about becoming a BCPS volunteer, visit browardschools.com/volunteers.
ABOUT BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
“Committed to educating all students to reach their highest potential.”
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is the sixth largest school district in the nation and the second largest in the state of Florida. BCPS is Florida’s first fully accredited school system since 1962. BCPS has over 271,000 students and approximately 175,000 adult students in 236 schools, centers and technical colleges, and 99 charter schools. BCPS serves a diverse student population, with students representing 208 different countries and 181 different languages. To learn more, visit browardschools.com. Follow BCPS on Twitter @browardschools and Facebook at facebook.com/browardschools, and download the
free BCPS mobile app.