Today, January 10, 2018, the Florida Department of Education released graduation rates for the 2016/17 school year. Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is proud to announce that the results show graduation rates for innovative District high schools reached the highest level in six years, at 93.8 percent. This marks an increase of nearly 2 percentage points since 2015/16.
Additional highlights are listed below.
- The overall graduation rate for BCPS, which includes innovative District high schools and charter schools, is 81 percent. This is the highest graduation rate for BCPS since Florida adopted the Federal Uniform Graduation Rate method in 2010/11.
- 31 innovative District high schools had a graduation rate of 90 percent or higher.
- 24 of 33 innovative District high schools improved or maintained their graduation rate from 2015/16.
- Black (75 percent), Hispanic (83 percent) and white (87.3 percent) students improved their graduation rates. The graduation rate gap between black students and white students also decreased by 3.2 percentage points.
- Atlantic Technical High School, Broward Virtual School, College Academy @ Broward College and Lauderhill 6-12 achieved graduation rates of 100 percent.
- Coral Springs High School had the largest graduation rate increase in the District, increasing its graduation rate by 7.6 percentage points to 94.4 percent in 2016/17, compared to 86.8 percent in 2015/16. Coconut Creek High School and Piper High School also both increased their graduation rates by 5 percentage points or more compared to 2015/16.
“We are extremely proud of these results, which highlight our commitment to ensuring our students complete their high school education and are prepared for college and careers,” said Superintendent Robert W. Runcie. “We will continue to focus on meeting the individual needs of our students and providing them with the support and high-quality educational experiences to help them be successful in school and beyond.”
For more information on BCPS graduation rates, visit:
ABOUT BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
“Committed to educating all students to reach their highest potential.”
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is the sixth largest school district in the nation and the second largest in the state of Florida. BCPS is Florida’s first fully accredited school system since 1962. BCPS has more than 271,500 students and approximately 175,000 adult students in 234 schools, centers and technical colleges, and 93 charter schools. BCPS serves a diverse student population, with students representing 204 different countries and 191 different languages. To learn more, visit browardschools.com. Follow BCPS on Twitter @browardschools and Facebook at facebook.com/browardschools, and download the free BCPS mobile app.